Of course this soup isn’t the magic weight loss secret but if you’re trying to cut calories this is perfect to have in your fridge ready to enjoy! It’s loaded with flavor, fills your belly and is naturally low in calories and fat. When we are trying to cut back (usually in January after the holidays) we enjoy a small bowl of this soup before each meal. (And if you follow Weight Watchers, this is a 0 point soup… a freebie) or I use it as a snack to tide me over until dinner.
This vegetable soup recipe is great because it can be made on the weekend to enjoy throughout the week and it freezes well. It’s very versatile and you can swap or add any veggie to make this to your liking or swap beef broth for chicken.
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 4 cups chopped cabbage (approx. ¼ head of cabbage)
- 1 cup green beans (1″ pieces)
- 2 whole bell peppers, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) low sodium diced tomatoes
- 6 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon each thyme & basil
- pepper to taste
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- In a large pot cook onion & garlic over medium heat until slightly softened.
- Add carrots, cabbage & green beans and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in bell peppers, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, bay leaves and seasonings. Simmer 6-7 minutes.
- Add in zucchini & broccoli. Simmer an additional 5 minutes or until softened.
- Remove bay leaves before serving.